Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Mob, Excuse me, Our Legislature

I've always wondered how much of political donations was "access" and how much was a shakedown. After all most legislation only mildly affects most people and some dramatically affects a few. Politicians since long before the United States existed have used this to their advantage.

I think the Congress portrayed in The Distinguished Gentlemen [LINK TO AMAZON] is a lot closer to reality than most of us would like to admit.

Which is why I'm for LIMITED GOVERNMENT.

Anyway, here, for your reading pleasure is Eleanor Norton:

This is, uh, Eleanor Norton, Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton. Uh, I noticed that you have given to uh, other colleagues on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. I am a, um, Senior Member, a twenty year veteran and am Chair of the Sub-committee on Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management. I’m handling the largest economic development project in the United States now, the Homeland Security Compound of three buildings being built on the uh, old St. Elizabeth’s hospital site in the District of Columbia along with uh, fifteen other, uh, sites here for, that are part of the stimulus .

I was, frankly, uh, uh, surprised to see that we don’t have a record, so far as I can tell, of your having given to me despite my uh, long and deep uh, work. In fact, it’s been my major work, uh, on the committee and sub-committee it’s been essentially in your sector.

I am, I’m simply candidly calling to ask for a contribution. As the senior member of the um, committee and a sub-committee chair, we have (chuckles) obligations to raise, uh funds. And, I think it must have been me who hasn’t, frankly, uh, done my homework to ask for a contribution earlier. So I’m trying to make up for it by asking for one now, when we particularly, uh, need, uh contributions, particularly those of us who have the seniority and chairmanships and are in a position to raise the funds.

I’m asking you to give to Citizens for Eleanor Holmes Norton, PO Box 70626, DC, 20024. I’ll send you a follow-up note with appreciation for having heard me out. Thanks again.

You can find the audio transcript in numerous outlets.

If the above doesn't sound like a shakedown to you, let me ask how comfortable would you feel if you received this message and your business could be adversely affected by Eleanor Holmes Norton?

Again, this is a clear example of why I am for small, limited government.

0 comments:

Post a Comment