Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Taliban Dan



A harsh ad. The first thing I thought was "I would like to see the context in which this was said. Dan Webster was talking to fathers at a church group. This is what he said:



Webster: So, write a journal. Second, find a verse. I have a verse for my wife, I have verses for my wife. Don’t pick the ones that say, ‘She should submit to me.’ That’s in the Bible, but pick the ones that you’re supposed to do. So instead, ‘love your wife, even as Christ loved the Church and gave himself for it’ as opposed to ‘wives submit to your own husbands.’ She can pray that, if she wants to, but don’t you pray it.

As Fact Check puts it:
The phrase "if she wants to," though, shows that Webster was not imposing his "radical fundamentalism" even on the people at the religious training conference.

I may or may not disagree with these religious teachings but as long as it's not imposed on non-believers there can be no problem with it.

Here is Grayson's response: He states that his ad did not take things out of context:



To be fair to Grayson he made some good points regarding Webster's positions and votes -- I would like to hear more about this without the Taliban hyperbole.

0 comments:

Post a Comment