Monday, October 25, 2010

Mexico, a Failed-State:but let's leave our borders wide-open.

And people still object to the US sealing it's borders? There's a lot we can can change regarding immigration but the first thing that must be done is to control the borders. Funny how the very people who are for regulating everything are against regulating borders. These same people who don't see limits on what government officials can do to regulate our lives: don't open new McDonalds, put on your seat belts, eat more vegetables, don't do this, don't do that think that we shouldn't know who enters our country.

What a load of nonsense.





What can we do about the narco state below our borders? One thing we can do is start legalizing drugs, take the power and money away from illegal entities and have them taxed and regulated. Notice how few gang killings we have over the sale of beer and whisky compared to the 1920s?

UPDATE: 10/28/2010



Entire police force in Los Ramones, Mexico quits after gunmen attack headquarters

The entire police force in a small Mexican town abruptly resigned Tuesday after its new headquarters was viciously attacked by suspected drug cartel gunmen.

All 14 police officers in Los Ramones, a rural town in northern Mexico, fled the force in terror after gunmen fired more than 1,000 bullets and flung six grenades at their headquarters on Monday night.

As the President of Mexico Felipe Calderón, who, in 2009, angrily denied that Mexico was becoming a "failed state," described the situation in February 2010 as a fight for "the very authority of the state."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does your libertarian philosophy jive with your closed border POV? My impression was that libertarians want less government interference. How is more government control of the border conducive to that goal?

The Classical Liberal said...

That is one of the things I disagree with the Libertarians about, and why I call myself a Classical Liberal.

I think that there is a roll for government. I'm not an anarcho-capitalist. I think that controlling the borders is one of the roles of government.

Anonymous said...

I didn't think you were one of those wacky libertarians. Although that part about legalizing drugs has me worried.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, why? I don't use drugs or drink alcohol but I think it is foolish not to try legalization with taxation.

The Classical Liberal said...

Anonymous,

I'm Libertarian in the sense that I want a constitutionally limited government. While I, and most libertarians, focus on the word "limited" one shouldn't forget that limited qualifies the word "government."

There is a roll for government, namely enforcing the social contract which is, in my opinion: "I promise not to kill you and take your stuff, if you promise not to kill me and take mine." The social contract does not include I promise to stop you from eating too many twinkees if you promise to stop me from drinking too much.

So yes, like most libertarians I'm for the legalization of drugs. BUT we still have, and need a government, and, controlling the borders is, in my opinion, one of the legitimate rolls of the government.

RCTLFY,

Many "true" Libertarians would also have me sent to the woodshed for wanting to tax and regulate drugs and alcohol. Now, I certainly think that the way we regulate alcohol is silly and stupid -- but that doesn't mean I think there shouldn't be either regulation or taxes.

Post a Comment